- A copy of last year's tax return
- Last year's e-file Personal Identification Number or your 2011 adjusted gross income, either can serve as your e-signature.
- Valid Social Security Numbers for yourself and your spouse if applicable.
- Valid Social Security Numbers for your dependents if applicable.
- Forms W-2 from all of your employers
- Forms 1099-INT showing interest paid to you throughout the year
- Form 1099-G showing any refund, credit or offset of state and local taxes
- All receipts pertaining to your small business if applicable
- Forms 1099-DIV and Forms 1099-R
- Income receipts from rental, real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporation, trusts
- Unemployment compensation
- Social Security benefits
- Other income
All taxpayers have a Free File option.
If you filed a tax extension, you can use Free File to do your federal tax return through October 15, 2013. Get started at www.irs.gov/freefile.
If your adjusted gross income is $57,000 or less, use brand-name software to prepare and e-file your taxes. If your adjusted gross income is more than $57,000, use Free File Fillable Forms. Then e-file your taxes for FREE with Free File. It's that easy. Free File is available exclusively from the IRS. It's fast. It's safe. It's free.
The IRS Free File program applies only to federal tax returns for individuals. Generally, you must complete your federal tax return before you can prepare your state tax return. Many Free File alliance members will provide state tax preparation software for free or for a fee. Also, some states participate in a State Free File program that allows you to prepare and e-file your state taxes for free.
In states with Free File, some Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Tax counseling for the elderly (VITA/TCE) sites are making Free File available to eligible taxpayers. File your taxes yourself for FREE, with a little help from a certified IRS volunteer. Find a self-help VITA/TCE location near you at www.irs.gov, search word: VITA.
The following states participate in the State Free File program: